Guide:Extracting game assets
|Game(s)||Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus|
Sly 2: Band of Thieves
Sly 3: Honor Among Thieves
This guide will teach you how to use SlyTools extract game assets from WAL archives. Once you’ve extracted the WAL contents, you can replace any files you like and re-pack the WAL.
You will need[edit | edit source]
- A WAL file (obtained from your copy of the Sly Collection/Sly Trilogy)
- For Sly 1 only, you also need the WAC
Extracting the WAL[edit | edit source]
For Sly 1, extract the WAL and WAC from your game and put them in the same folder. For Sly 2 and 3, you only need the WAL.
Run the SlyTools unpacker with one of the following commands:
- For Sly 1:
sly_unpacker_1.exe C:/Path/To/SLY.WAC .
- For Sly 2 and 3:
sly_unpacker_2_3.exe C:/Path/To/SLY2.WAL .
Replace c:/Path/To/SLY.WAL with the actual path to where you saved the WAL/WAC file.
The extracted files will be placed in a folder in the same directory as SlyTools.
What now?[edit | edit source]
Now that you have the files, there are endless possibilities for what you can do with them, including (but not limited to):
- Replace the dialogue, sound effects, or music with custom audio files
- Replace cutscenes with your own custom videos
- Swap the map files to change the order of levels (e.g. replace the splash screen with a different map so the game loads directly into that map)
- Open the levels in a map viewer program like Cane